Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Agriculture in Nepal

Its third year in my degree. I was reading this book “ Irrigation Engineering.” Just a thought came in my mind why on earth am I reading this book? “Agriculture is not engineering.” In one semester, this book has planned some other thing to teach me. It wanted to prove me so wrong.
How many of you know about crop rotation? How many of you know that just watering the plant does not harvest the crops. They do need air as well. And how many of you know that watering at the right time during the crop life is important.
Today this engineer speaks. It’s the knowledge that I would like to share and may be open your eyes. We all grew up saying NEPAL IS A AGRICULTURAL AND TOURIST COUNTRY. In every essay that I wrote about Nepal, I never miss this line. Then how come we know nothing about agriculture.
I remember my friend once said about the agriculture. He was saying “You know in India they teach Agriculture to the school going children. The reason behind it is that the things that they will learn about agriculture during school hours and they will tell about it to their parents who most of them are farmers. This way the farmers will try the new things and see the actual real life difference.”
Every day I see kids going to school having nine or more big books in their bag. Are we teaching them the right things? Agriculture is the science- the basic for life. It took me 22 years to know about this fact. If the kids don’t know about it then how on earth can we expect them to visualize themselves as an agriculturist and farmers. The future of Nepal.
Just saying education can empower the nation is not enough only Right education can sanction it. Hope everyone get my message. Don’t forget to comment me.

3 comments:

  1. You are right. But in Nepal there's this taboo kinda thing going on that only people who are docs or engineer are the successful people. All profession should be equalized. new generation should keep that in mind. then the teaching and learning becomes more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES you are right.Most of the interests that man bores in childhood actually becomes his destiny in life. So may be we are missing those kids who are yet to become a learned agriculturists. Why not a demostrations or a project work during summer vacation and winter vacation for kids giving them knowledge how crops are crops been sown and harvest. Even encouraging if they could do it practically that way even learning will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a very nice idea. I equally support both of you regarding your views. Ya it was you Binat who actually told me about the agriculture thing in India.
    New generation are the backbone of country. If they learn at young age then they can learn more.Thanks Butterfly gal.
    Binat, I hope to see your blog soon. I want to read your thoughts as well.

    ReplyDelete